Pilates, Day One

Posted in:

I apparently lied in my last post when I said I was going to take a break from blogging for the remainder of the year. I'm not sure if I'll blog much for the remainder of the year, but I at least wanted to talk about this.

Last night I had my first Pilates class. I was kinda nervous going into it. I sat on my couch waiting to head downstairs (the studio is right downstairs and around the corner from my apartment, about a two minute walk) and so many thoughts were circling in my head - mainly just one thought: "God, I hope I'm not the fattest one there." Such a petty fear, I realize this, but it did make me a little apprehensive. The class was small, only four of us and the instructor - presumably due to it being a holiday week - and yes, I was in fact the fattest one there. The three other women who were attending the class have obviously all been taking Pilates for quite some time. All of them were a bit older - I'd peg the youngest in her late 30s and the other two in their 40s - but they had great bodies. The younger of the three was a little bit bigger, around my size but definitely a lot more toned.

Throughout the workout there were definitely moments I felt a little out of my league. The instructor was well aware that this was my first class and she definitely gave me a little extra attention, making sure I was doing the movements right and all that. Being that the class was so small I didn't mind her singling me out - normally I would have hated it - but it actually was okay. For the most part she didn't have to alter my movements at all. I can only remember one time when she really had to adjust me. The other two or three times she just had to mention something to me and I made the adjustments myself. After the work out she told me I did a really good job - it was one of those moments, though, where I questioned if I had actually done a good job or if she was just saying that to be motivating. There were one or two exercises that were pretty difficult where I could definitely feel things in my body at work, but not the majority, which makes me wonder how many of the movements I was actually doing correctly. I'm sure once I get more familiar with the class and the movements and whatnot I'll start to feel more confident in what I'm doing.

This morning when I woke up I expected to be a little sore, but the only spot I really feel sore is around my rib cage. I'm hoping the more I keep going, the more I'll get out of the exercises, and the more sore I'll become. I love being sore from a work out. It makes me feel like I really accomplished something. Nothing worse than busting your butt and then feeling like you didn't get anything done. Another thing about the class that makes me a little worried is that I didn't feel tired. I wasn't terribly out of breath at any point in the work out and I didn't sweat. I realize that Pilates are not really cardio, but I dunno - I guess I'm just used to sweating. I'm hoping ... really REALLY hoping ... that I'll get the results I want. I've mapped out my Pilates classes for January - three times a week each week. I have 10 classes with the program I purchased, and they offer a free class every Sunday, so I'm scheduled out for the next five weeks. At the end of the five weeks I'm going to evaluate and see if it's worth continuing or not. Either way I'm going to stick to these 15 (now 14) classes and make the most out of them!

0 comments: