Sushi & Soybeans

Posted in:

Today my boss took me out to lunch for sushi. During my first week we were chatting and he mentioned that he was taking his old assistant out for sushi, and when my reaction was nothing but excitement he told me to pencil in a day for us to do the same. That day was today. Being that I'd consumed all of my weekly points except 6 (technically 20, but I only use 35 weekly points instead of the usual 49) I decided to skip my usual breakfast and make one gigantic fruit salad. I chopped up an apple, a clementine, some strawberries, and some pineapple, and it turned into quite a morning feast. By the time lunch rolled around I was starving! I couldn't wait to get to the restaurant and order!

My boss is well aware that I am on Weight Watchers and so he didn't mind me taking a few extra minutes to tally up my points. My typical sushi outing usually involves the all-to-common California roll, in addition to two or three hot Japanese appetizers. Knowing I couldn't indulge as I normally would, I whipped out my calculator and figured out what would be the most sensible choices. I, of course, stuck with my California roll at only 6 points for the entire roll, and actually, due to the low point count, I considered just ordering two of them and being done with it (or broadening my horizons and choosing another roll to try). However, I kept on searching and found out that Gyoza, one of my favorite hot appetizers, was also only 6 points. Done!

  

While we were discussing our orders, my boss suggested we get an order of edamame to start. My response to this was, "Aren't those those little bean thingies?" Feeling horribly uncultured and all-to-shy in my cuisine endeavors I agreed to his suggestion. And OH MY GOSH am I glad I did! I think I found my new veggie love! Freaking soybeans!


I at first was a little skeptical of trying these hairy little pods, not to mention the fact that I had absolutely NO idea how to eat them without making myself look foolish. My boss told me to "teeth them out" - I did this with the first one but, although it worked, I decided to simply squeeze the rest out with my fingers. I figured this would eliminate some salt ingestion, plus it was easier for me. And only two or three of them flew away from me in the process! They were delicious! They taste almost like nuts of some kind, so I was very curious as to what the nutrition information would look like. Turns out I was right, in that they were similar to nuts. Although, they weren't quite as bad, and worked out to about 3 points for half a cup, which is what I assume I ended up eating. I definitely think I'm going to buy some of these little guys and incorporate them somehow. I found some recipes that suggested mashing up the cooked beans and making a dip of sorts. Hmm, interesting! In any event, I'm really glad I gave these a try.

Maybe I should trying more foods! *thinks*

0 comments: