P90X - Ready or Not, Here I Come!

Posted in: ,

A long while back I borrowed a P90X set from my friend so I could burn the discs and ultimately do the program for free. Unfortunately he had misplaced one of the discs, leaving my burnt collection incomplete. Because programs like this require the utmost dedication (aka no holes) I shelved the idea for a while until I could decide how to replace the missing component. It's been well over a year, and finally, tonight, after only 15 minutes or so of thinking, I came up with a solution: download a torrent of the missing disc. Duh. And voila! My set is now complete. I ordered a set of resistance bands (a required addition to the program) and, because my mom has crazy-fast shipping with Amazon, I should have them delivered by Thursday - which incidentally is PERFECT. Why? Well...

P90X is on a seven-day schedule, with six-days-on and the seventh day as rest day (or, optionally, you can choose to use the seventh day as a stretch work out). If I start the program on Thursday when my resistance bands arrive, as I intend, then my "seventh day" will fall on Wednesdays, which, ironically, is the night of my Pilates class (I really like the instructor on the Wednesday night class and so I only intend on doing Pilates on Wednesdays moving forward). So, it's perfect! Thursday-Tuesday will be P90X and Wednesday, the day of my weigh-ins, will be Pilates.

So, there you have it. Oh, and for those of you who don't know what P90X is:

P90X® is a complete 90-day home fitness system designed to get you in the best shape of your life. Created by trainer Tony Horton, the program includes 12 intense workouts that use resistance and body-weight training, cardio, plyometrics, ab work, martial arts and yoga, along with a nutrition plan, fitness guide and workout calendar.

Obviously, because I didn't actually purchase the program, I don't have the nutrition plan, or fitness guide/workout calendar. However, being that Weight Watchers is my nutrition plan, that's taken care of. As for the fitness guide/workout calendar, fortunately you can find pretty much anything you want online. Here it is, edited to show my specific days:

Click for full-size.

Why did I decide to start doing P90X? Well. Let's face it. My time at the gym as of late has been pretty pathetic. I barely manage to get there twice a week and when I do, ha, it's like I may as well have not even gone in the first place. I just for whatever reason can't get back into the swing of working out at the gym. I need a trainer. I need someone to tell me what to do. I think the reason I've been enjoying my Pilates class as much as I have is because I have someone up there instructing me. Do this movement this many times at this intensity, then do this movement. I'm slightly concerned that doing the program at home will be a little different than my class, for the simple fact that in my class I can't just stop. Not only is the instructor looking at me, but everyone else in the class is as well. BUT, I'm hoping that once I start doing the program I'll just keep doing it and keep doing it. If I have to stop and take a water break, that's okay. Just finish the damn work out. That's my goal for the first week. Stop as many times as you need, Sam, just finish it.

I'm excited to get started with this! I spent a little while deciding between just sticking with P90X or purchasing it's slightly-less-challenging predecessor Power 90. The main reason I was leaning towards Power 90 is because the workouts are only 30-45 minutes a day, versus P90X's workouts which are an hour to an hour-and-a-half a day. I was almost about to hit the "Submit" button to purchase Power 90 when I realized how much free time I spend at night just sitting on my couch watching TV, and half the time I'm bored and restless. I'm done taking shortcuts. P90X may be a little too challenging for me, but it will only be at that way at first. I'd rather struggle through something and get results than yawn my way through something and get less out of it.

My neighbor, who used to be a model, used to do P90X when she was 15 and active in the business. Her exact words were, "I was a damn sexy ass bitch after it... You're going to look fucking awesome!" Dang. I just hope she's right!

0 comments: