Review: Yoplait Greek 100

Posted in:

I have always, always, always wanted to try Greek yogurt. Ever since the first day it started popping up in diet and weight loss blogs all over the internet I've been fascinated by the stuff. I'm a big yogurt fan in general, and for whatever reason, trying Greek yogurt has been a huge item on my bucket list. I know what you're thinking: "So, go to the store and pick some up, Sam. It's not a difficult procedure." True, but there were so many questions that still lurked in my brain: brand, flavor, product line. So many options, so many variables, how will I know which one is right for me?

My questions were finally answered the day Yoplait released their Greek 100 line. I wasn't even aware that Yoplait made Greek yogurt in the first place; had I known I probably would have tried it a long time ago. I tend to be slightly reluctant in trying new foods, especially if I'm unfamiliar with the brand. In regards to Greek yogurt, Chobani was the brand I had heard about the most, with Fage coming in at a close second. A short while ago I had heard about Dannon Oikos, and being a big Light-and-Fit fan I was planning on giving it a go. However, I read an article about Yoplait's Greek 100 and knew right away it would be the best fit for me. I am a big fan of Yoplait, and choosing between their regular Greek yogurt and the Greek 100 was easy: 60 less calories, 16 less grams of carbs, and an extra gram of protein to boot (when comparing the key lime flavors)! While visiting my mom for Thanksgiving this past weekend, who is also on Weight Watchers, we decided to finally give it a try!

We picked up three flavors of Greek 100 to try, and to be good sports, we also picked up a few flavors of Chobani to allow for a taste comparison. I found Chobani to be a little tart, and my mom agreed - she was skeptical of trying Greek yogurt at all as she had a bad experience her first time trying it (tart, bitter, etc). However, when we tried the Greek 100 it was like the heavens had opened and angels began to sing.

  • Each container is only 2 Points, compared to 4 Points with most other bands.
  • Each container is only 100 calories, which is at least 60 calories lower than other brands.
  • Each container has at least 10-13 grams of protein per serving.
  • The serving size seems huge, an illusion probably due to the thick, creamy consistency.
  • The flavors are incredible; you would have NO idea this wasn't regular yogurt.

Currently, Yoplait has six flavors of Greek 100: Black Cherry, Key Lime, Mixed Berry, Peach, Strawberry, and Vanilla. So far I have tried Black Cherry, Key Lime, and Vanilla, and I have a Mixed Berry and a Strawberry sitting in my fridge waiting for their taste test. I've never been a fan of Peach anything, so that one will go untested, at least by me - my mom has agreed to sample this flavor and give me her results. Honestly, at this point I can't tell which flavor I like the best so far. The Black Cherry and Key Lime are packed with flavor, with Black Cherry actually having real pieces of fruit, and the Vanilla was so mild I could see it doubling as a "plain" flavor in recipes.

I am definitely sold! Moving forward, I foresee myself eliminating the purchase of normal yogurts and replacing them solely with this delicious alternative. I'm very happy with this product and am so glad I finally had the courage to try it.

Goodbye Yoplait Light and Dannon Light-and-Fit ... Hello Yoplait Greek 100!

0 comments: