7 Days of Thanksgiving: Green Beans

Posted in:

Day five in my 7 Days of Thanksgiving! Green beans have never really been my thing. Beans in general for that matter. Not every year, but most years my family does partake in the typical green bean casserole dish, and although I usually opted out of the dish I always wondered if the taste could possibly be worth the amount of calories that accompany it. Although, I must confess, I usually snagged some of those fried onions! In any event, I wanted to find a green bean dish that was not only a lot healthier than traditional green bean casserole, but would also be something I would venture to try. Almonds are one of my favorite foods of all time, so my attention was immediately caught by the dish below. The dish itself is simple, fresh, and only 2 points per serving: a guaranteed win for any green bean fan!


Ingredients:

  • ½ cup almonds, slivered
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 8 cups green snap beans, uncooked, fresh, trimmed, or thawed (if frozen)
  • ½ cup canned chicken or vegetable broth
  • ½ tsp table salt, or to taste
  • ¼ tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste

Instructions:

  • Place almonds in a large dry skillet and place pan over medium heat.
  • Cook until nuts are golden brown, shaking pan frequently, about 2 to 4 minutes.
  • Remove nuts from pan; set aside.
  • Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Add garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute.
  • Add string beans and sauté 1 minute.
  • Add broth to pan; cover and steam until string beans are crisp-tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
  • Add salt and pepper; stir to coat.
  • Remove from heat; stir in toasted almonds.

Notes:

  • Yields about 8 ¾ cup servings.

Servings:
8 servings
WW+ Points:
2 per serving
Recipe Credit:
Weight Watchers

0 comments: