7 Days of Thanksgiving: Stuffing

Posted in:

Day four in my 7 Days of Thanksgiving! Stuffing is always a must for any Thanksgiving meal. However, most people do not spend the time to make their own. Store-bought stuffings have incredibly high sodium content, not to mention terribly high calorie and fat counts. However, my mom makes a home-made stuffing that is really fantastic, so usually I will have at least a spoonful. I've never really taken the time to break down the nutrition of the dish, maybe I will this year, but I did know I wanted the stuffing recipe I chose for this post to have a similarity to my mom's recipe. She uses dried cherries in her stuffing - this is potentially a common ingredient, and for some reason the tangy, fruity flavor compliments the rest of the mixture so well. I knew I wanted my recipe to have some kind of fruit in it, so when I found the recipe below I was very intrigued. Pears aren't something I would have normally thought to be a good addition to stuffing, but this sounds really delicious!


Ingredients:

  • 4 cups cubed sourdough bread (about 6 oz / 3-6 slices)
  • 2 Jennie-O Lean Sweet Italian Turkey Sausages
  • 2.5 cups chopped onion (about 1 pounds)
  • 1 cup Bartlett pear, peeled and cubed (about 1 medium)
  • 1 cup celery, chopped
  • ¾ cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • ½ cup carrot, chopped
  • ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
  • ¾ tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • Non-stick cooking spray

Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 425°.
  • Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
  • Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until golden; place in a large bowl.
  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray.
  • Break sausage into chunks and add to skillet.
  • Cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
  • Add sausage to bread cubes, tossing to combine; set aside.
  • Return pan to medium-high heat, and add onion, celery, and carrot.
  • Sauté 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown.
  • Stir in mushrooms; cook about 4 minutes.
  • Stir in pear, basil, tarragon, and salt.
  • Cook 4 minutes or until pear begins to soften, stirring occasionally.
  • Add pear mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to combine.
  • Stir in broth and pepper.
  • Place bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with foil.
  • Bake at 425° for 20 minutes.
  • Uncover; bake stuffing an additional 15 minutes or until top of stuffing is crisp.

Notes:

  • Makes about 6 ¾ cup servings.

Servings:
6 servings
WW+ Points:
3 per serving
Original Recipe:
Cooking Light

0 comments: